Friday, November 15, 2013

Lab 6 Reflection:: Micro Teaching at Tyrone

My Micro Teaching took place in Mrs.Hoy's 8th period Vet Science class at Tyrone High School. The class had 13 students. I covered injections focusing on how to draw up syringes properly and the three main types of injections- intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous.

I sincerely enjoyed this class and enjoyed teaching more than I expected. Many students were interested but I defiantly struggled with a number of them to stay involved.

The first day didn't start out as I would have liked but I felt rushed for some reason. Once I got settled into it and started to connect with the students it went really well. Unfortunately I went through my first portion of content quickly since I was nervous but also a few students knew the content. I continued to switch the content so the students would stay engaged and it worked. There was a group of students that half were working but the others were more concerned on social aspects. I was running low on material so I implemented an e_moment. I was trying to have them write a parody or rhyme but only one group (out of 3) actually worked on it. Being the very end of the day also put me in a tough situation.

On day 2 I handed students a post card with their table and for their bell work as they entered. Not only did the actually do the bell work I had less issues with talking!

Day three was putting all the skills they had been working on together. I started our with a jeopardy review game but struggled to get students involved I could tell right away they were ready to be done for the day. Once we got through the game I passed out chicken legs and wings as well as a scenario to test their knowledge of all the skills I taught. It was very successful but this time we ran out if time to do the last activity. It felt sort of unorganized for me because it wasn't my lab but otherwise I think it went well. For the first time I had every student engaged right up to the bell.

I asked the students to provide feedback from the three days, only a few students responded because we ran short on time but they said they learned a lot and enjoyed the approach with hands on learning.

I thought this was a great experience and I learned a lot about classroom management.

2 comments:

  1. Classroom Management is always something we need to be thinking about! I really liked how after having issues with chatty kids, you came back and combated the issue with assigned seating! Great idea!! You need a cool lesson and it was really great they knew a lot about the topic. It really gave you the chance to dig in deeper. Giving the students a hands on assignment was a great way to get around the written test! We all have to keep growing and improving seems like you did that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that Dr. Foster had said that the best way to not have classroom management issues is to be varied, and I think you found some ways to do it! You also found ways to be a better educator as you kept more students engaged, held them accountable, and had fund doing it! It is a matter of using what we did, thinking of why it worked, and using it this spring and in the future! You will do great, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete