Saturday, September 21, 2013

AEE 412 Lab 1 Reflection: First Day of School

Our first lab was an interesting to prepare for as we also work on developing curriculum for the semester. I felt it was challenging to only present ten minutes off the lesson because prior activities help build up to the main point as well as set the attitude towards the information. I didn't present my interest approach but I think I would opt to change it to better set the mindset of the students for the year as well as to set the expectations for the class.

I felt it was challenging to address negative behaviors in all of the labs I watched because all of the class members were so persistent in their identified behaviors. With that being said, now that we have an idea of the class behaviors it will provide more opportunity to better fit the needs of the class. The biggest obstacle in my lecture lab is talking. To prevent this in the future my plan is to rearrange seating so those students are sitting closer to me. I also need to make sure in my lesson students are immediately engaged in the material.

Overall I think my lesson went well. I was able to cover the material like planned. My hope is future lessons go smoother as we become adapted to how we want to present and classroom management.

5 comments:

  1. I think your perspective on the behaviors of the class was spot on. I didn't realize either how hard it was to manage the students while trying to teach a lesson. I liked how you have a solution to your problem, especially because seating students in different seats is so simple. I know it was the first lab, and I can admit that everyone wants their future lessons to go smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie

    I think we all have things we hope to improve for the next lab. That is part of learning and practice. Classroom management can be difficult and I also felt nervous and unsure through parts of my lesson. I really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I agree with you on the difficulty in addressing negative behaviors. I know it will take awhile for us to perfect that skill but sometimes it can be frustrating to address it when you are not exactly sure how! I also agree with your idea on moving seats, yet at the same time you have to wonder if by placing them up front/near you if it will still keep them engaged and interested or just mad because they cannot sit next to their friends. We are all creating awesome lessons so of course they will stay engaged! :)
    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is awesome that you already have a plan for the next lab! Teachers have to keep lessons and learning rolling, meaning walking into the next lesson prepared to handle similar situtations that may not have been resovled. As far as the "smoothness" of our lessons, I feel the same way. We will learn how to get things ironed out. It's just a matter of time and perfect practice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good reflection, it is great that you picked both positives and negatives out. I agree it will take time to get our lessons flowing easy. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete