Friday, September 27, 2013

AEE 412 Lab 2: Reflection

My lab this week was on an interest approach or anticipatory set. I elected to create mine for a floriculture class introducing oasis. First off I had a hard time finding an interesting and capturing approach. My desperate search lead me to the Georgia Agriculture Education teachers site- AKA my best friend! The site has tons of awesome ideas to use for a variety of subjects. I ended up finding an entire page devoted to unique interest approaches.

Things I liked about the one I chose was that it was used with materials that you would have at a school and requires minimum prep. It also can be very flexible in how you actually present it.

I felt like my presentation went well. The behavior issues I had in the previous lab were minimized as the students were much more engaged and interest. I tried it facilitate questions for the students to guess what I was using. A student immediately guessed what my mysterious material was, which halted my guiding questions for the students to think about what it was. Next time, if a student knows an answer right away, I will ask them to help explain more of how the material works for the benefit of the other students.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you already have a best friend for resources! I'll be sure to check them out when I need to work on crafting my next lesson. It truly is a struggle when a student answers quickly and negates the reason for you to ask a lot of the guiding questions you prepared. However, I think that you have a great plan for the next time it happens. While I hope you get to try it out to practice it, I hate to see all that work not be used in preparing those guiding questions. Good job, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate,
    Great job on your lesson. When you were telling me about it I could not grab the concept until I actually saw it. I understand what you mean when a students comes up with the right answer right off the bat. That kinda makes me feel like I put all this work into thinking of ways to explain it and now I do not have to. I think that your plan for next time this happens is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie
    Your interest approach was really cool and I think all your students will remember what oasis is after your magic trick. I like your idea about what to do when someone in your class knows a lot about the topic you are trying to teach. I think it's a great idea to ask them or help or share what they know about the class. That gives you a chance to maybe expand upon something they might not know. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job, it can be both frustrating and delightful to have a student who knows a lot about the material you are presenting. It makes it hard to decide how to teach, since we want to make sure everyone in the class is learning! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie; good job on your classroom management skills especially with the student who knows a lot about the subject. Having them share or help can be beneficial and may even inspire other students to learn. I thought your interest approach was really awesome and very cool! Also thanks for the tip about Georgia Ag Ed! I will def be looking there and checking out some of the cool things they have to offer!

    ReplyDelete